Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Size Matters.

I may have mentioned, casually, once or twice.. or fifty-gazillion times, that I come from a large family. I am the ninth of ten kids, and the youngest of the five girls. Growing up at the tail-end of the brood meant that there were actually only 5 or 6 kids around for my childhood. By junior high it was just 3 of my brothers.. and me.

Any way you slice it, though, by today's standards I was in an Exceptionally Large Family.

I have been thinking about this lately as we prepare for the birth of Baby Boy #3. I have never thought that 3 kids a large family did make. As I have become visibly pregnant, however, the comments? They have begun. IN EARNEST.

"Wow! You'll REALLY have your hands full now, won't you."
"So is this your last one? I mean, you won't have more than three.. will you?"

And my favorite:

"Don't you know what causes that?"

For the record: Yes, we are quite aware what causes that. Oh, and in case you were wondering, engage in that activity as often as possible.

But even living in a small town, I am realizing that having more than 2 children makes us something of an anomaly. Having one more would bump us into "Mega Family" status, according to, at least, these websites I stumbled on that are dedicated solely to support for large families.

It got me thinking about the psychology behind the number of children couples decide to have. There's this guy - who, in this article from 2004, appears to be suggesting that people have more than 2 kids for the tax breaks. To which I say to him: Sir, I suspect you do not HAVE children. If you did, you would be acutely aware that the sacrifices required to have and raise a small human entirely outweigh the "benefit" of getting a few bucks back from the government.

There are these people, and many others like them (including my own parents) who have large families because they believe it's what God either requires or requests of them. But, in the spirit of honesty, I find that thinking a little on the crazy side in several respects. However, since Big Daddy and I are not religious, God obviously doesn't figure into our thinking here. That seems to be rare among those who desire larger than 2.5-kid families in general.

So baby #3 is on the way, and I'm left thinking about how we came to this decision. Big Daddy is one of 3 kids, and has always thought that was a good number. Me? I prefer the idea of even numbers, and I'm not sure yet if this is our last baby or if maybe there is one more in the cards for us. That's a discussion for another day and one which does not, dear internets, include you. (Some things remain off-limits after all... who knew?)

I have begun to suspect, though, that the debate here falls on somewhat generational lines. This suspiscion appears to be confirmed by this 2007 Gallup Poll, which seems to show that my generation is more open to the idea of large families than our parents were. Okay, obviously not my parents, but since they're technically part of the Baby Boomer generation it's not really a fair comparison.

I'm not sure how this compares to my actual life, though. Few of the friends our own age are even beginning to contemplate children yet, and more than one has entirely ruled out the idea. They are, for the most part, young professionals. More than one has commented negatively, in our presence (and assumedly forgetting to whom them were speaking), on other people with children at restaurants or other public venues. We try to take it with good grace.

The friends a few years older than we are who are working alongside us in the parenting trenches are mostly 2-kid-limit sort of people. The obvious exceptions are these fantastic women, and between them S and PK are my heroines when it comes to juggling the demands of raising their kids with sanity and grace.

The most important lesson they have both taught me, by the way, is about setting boundaries with other people when it comes to your time and your kids. It's ironic, then, that I have let the unsolicited opinions of other people send me down this path of pondering, but since the opinions themselves are not influencing my ultimate decision, I suppose it's probably a healthy question.

In our case, if I have to boil it all down, I think it falls to 3 main categories for consideration: Age, Finances, and Time.

Big Daddy and I are both still young; he'll be 30 in July and I'm 29 for another year. If this is, indeed, our last baby... well, we'll be done having kids before most people begin these days. So we have almost a decade where the option to have more will still be physically open to us.

Financially, we fall squarely in the middle class. Supporting and caring for 3 kids, or even 4, is feasible - even if we figure in sharing a portion of the costs of college education for all of them. Then again, the sooner I am done being pregnant and get all the kids into elementary school the sooner I can go back to school myself and persue a career - which will make our financial position stronger and more stable for the future.

Time is the final consideration. We are determined not to have more children than we can give sufficient individual attention to; I want each of my kids to have a comfortable certainty that there parents know them as an individual and that their activities and interests are as important to us as our own. If one of the boys wants to try his hand at something, I want to give them the option and not be limited by the impossibility of trying to keep it "equal" while dividing ourselves between the siblings. There are, after all, only so many hours in a day.

If I'm totally honest, I also have to admit that the idea of a small family makes me feel vaguely lonely. I adore our two boys, but if I thought there would be no more children I'd be .. intensely wistful. I embrace the chaos of a larger family, and imagine Christmases of the future spent around a huge tree. I picture adding a gaggle of grandkids and beloved in-law children to our brood. It's a nice picture in my head, even if reality doesn't usually quite measure up to the imagination.

So here's a question I'll pose to you, dear readers. How do you feel about family size? What determined or will determine the number of kids you have? Do you have to resist the temptation to make snide comments to parents of lare families, or do you follow a strictly nonjudgmental policy? OR are you on the receiving end of the comments, well-meaning or otherwise, as you attempt to navigate the aisles of Target with your brood in tow?

I'm going to reach out to a few of my favorite blogistas here, and I'll link back to you if/when you want to post on this topic. (For now? I'm lookin' at YOU: S, PK, Mocha, and to get a scientific-atheistic perspective up in here I think it would be lovely for chanson to chime in, too!)

9 comments:

Kristen M. said...

One of your charming lurkers here ... I have a theory that the younger children of large families are much more likely to have larger families themselves than the older ones. Why? Because those of us who had the joy of being the oldest (for me, it's only of 6 - we were a "small" LDS family) have already done a decent amount of child-rearing ourselves. I am already seasoned (and tired) and therefore my one son will most likely be the only one. My youngest sister talks about having a large family though!

I say, to each their own and whatever feels right to you (and what you can emotionally and financially "afford") should be what you aim for.

I also have a lurking suspicion that I will end up having a part raising some nieces and nephews too so I need to leave some room in my heart and my house for them.

Shannon said...

I'm not sure how much sanity and grace I have, but I do try hard. Love your buns.

Shan

Sophie, Inzaburbs said...

We just kept going until our family felt complete. For us, that is three.
For the Duggars, that is obviously as many as their God will give them, and I don't understand why so many people seem uncomfortable with that. Except, maybe, fear of the different.

Allie said...

It's funny, Mel, how we're sometimes on the exact same wavelength, because I was just talking to Danae today about this exact thing, and it got me thinking, and I was actually thinking about posting a blog similar to yours--asking people's thoughts on what has made them choose the family size that they choose. Looks like you beat me to it!
Since, as you know, I have no children of my own yet, I can only speak theoretically, but I strongly agree with Kristen's comment above. Being an older child, and having played quite a role in the raising of the 'little ones' in my own family, I felt for a long time that I would not have children at all--that I'd already 'raised my kids.' I know now that I do want my own family, but I'm thinking 2. We'll see how things end up.

Anonymous said...

Hubs would've been content with 2, I knew I always wanted at least 3, my family always joked I'd have 5 running around naked...and voila...we ended up with 4 who for the most part do run around naked.

All too often I get those lovely unsolicited comments..."my you've got your hands full", "have you figured out what causes that", "it gets easier", "are you mormon/catholic". They also tend to be the same people who find it their business to know if I am done (with an added note that I probably should be) and find relief when I say that I am content with 4. I don't even ask my own friends if they plan on having kids or how many more they hope to have because it is a totally personal decision that is up to them to share on their own.

Any parent knows that, yes, your hands are full no matter how many children you have...we do know what causes that and I feel lucky to actually enjoy it thanks to a very talented husband...no, it doesn't get easier, it gets busier...and no, I am not mormon/catholic, I just love being a mother.

I personally enjoy life on the fly with so much to do that if I stop, my head might still continue to spin. Mothering 1 or 20 kids is the same...you will have sleepless nights regardless of how old your children are, you are human and won't always discipline as coolly and calmly as you would like, and you have the ability to love each and every child as much as the first. It isn't easy, but for me, nothing compares to the joy I get from being the mother of 4 wonderful children who challenge me every day to try to be what I consider a perfect mother and forgive me when I fall seriously short of that goal.

danny said...

Hey, a dude here. As the oldest of three kids, I didn't really think about how many kids wanted, but have two now, and hope for a third and figure that would be a good number. My closest relatives are both families of four with a boy and a girl...which is where I am right now.

I don't know what the good number of kids will be, thankfully I got that X chromosome in there so I don't have to worry about having a girl anymore, as I was told we would keep going until that happened. But if you want lots of kids, have lots of kids. I only have one other set of friends out here who are our age that have kids. They have two and believe they're done. I know one other couple who's about to have their first. But like you, if all goes as I want, we'll have one more, be done by 30, then if we have another, that's cool too.

We have the house now that could hold more kids if it was necessary, so that takes the big stress out of the equation. We know where extra kids would go.

On the upside, if I ever do get asked about the Mormon/Catholic deal, I can respond that I am Catholic. I don't know if that would shut anybody up though. I was an altar boy when I was younger. That usually gets me more questions...I wasn't.

I'll be happy with any amount of kids that I end up with, they are a blessing and there are plenty of people out there who are desperate to have children of their own and are unable. My goal is just to give them the best life they can have, offer them support and love and just have faith that they'll end up happy with good memories of their childhood. I don't want to get blasted on Dr. Phil.

Kerri said...

You should move to Cville. Three kids is standard and I don't think anyone starts to bat an eyelash until you get well past 5 or 6. I wouldn't think twice about other's remarks. It's about what works for your family. I think the pivotal point is when it becomes more work than joy. That would be one too many for me.

I also think everyone reserves the right to change their mind (obviously not after the fact). But before we have children we have ideas of how many children we think we want (none to lots) because of the family size we grew up in or thought was ideal. I think it is very different being a part of a family than it is RAISING a family. What we think we want at 20 might change once the day to day reality sets in. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy.

Mocha said...

You know, I always jokingly say that you white girls "plan" your kids. I hope you think that's funny because I intended for it to be and if you don't get my brand of humor then I'M NOT SLEEPING WITH YOU THIS SUMMER.

I always wanted 4-5 and was talked out of it by the hubs and was quite vulnerable at the time so I agreed to get my innards french braided to stop the pregnancies from occurring.

So 3 makes mine a large family? I just wanted enough of them to build me a big kitchen someday.

Givinya De Elba said...

Loved the post - loved the comments! Timely, as I'm currently wondering what will be the right number of kids for me and Hubs. I agree - it just has to be what's right for us. I suspect it will be more than 2 and fewer than 5. We'll see.

I hope against hope that nobody will dare to question us on our final decision, because I am likely to tear their head off and paper the wall with their guts. Especially if I'm in the first trimester at the time. Hubs has 2 sisters with 10 kids between them and "as many kids as God will give me" philosophies, but that doesn't fit with us. I believe God's happy with that!

I always said I won't have more than I can parent well. It's hard though, because at the moment I think that 2 is my maximum quota of babies & toddlers, but I think eventually I want more than 2 pairs of arms cuddling me and 2 mouths saying "I love you Mum."

But that's just me. It doesn't have to be you :)