Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Hiding Under Freeways

Freeway underpasses where I live? They are probably not like freeway underpasses where you live.  I have lived a lot of places, y'all, and even in the nicer areas I found that underpasses where a place for graffiti and old urine and the occasional homeless person.
Not so in West-By-God-Virginia.


If you listen close, you'll hear the air whistling through the car tires overhead.
Unless the sound is smothered by the lullaby and hum of the river.

We spent one of the last lazy, luxuriant afternoons of the summer wading in the warm waters of the Shenandoah.
Mom? Can I just lay in the water, Mom? Can we stay here forever, Mom?

NO. CAMERA. NO. Good day, Madam.
I SAID GOOD DAY!

And they didn't fight.  Two tiny adventurers admonishing each other 
not to take off their shoes.
Sitting happily on the sidelines, he didn't miss a trick.
It helps to come stocked with crackers and sippy cups.
Me & My Posse.  My little Neopolitan Trio. 
(And yes, Milo's hair is still coming in red.)

Like I said.  My freeway underpass? Pretty much kicks your freeway underpass's ass.



1 comment:

Kjersti said...

GREAT pictures! I can't believe how cute your boys are. It's insane. Looks like you guys had a good time!