Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Alo-Ha-waii, Kona Come Over?

So Walmart carries Millstone Kona Blend. Who knew? But here I am, sipping a warm, strong cuppa and enjoying a few moments of quiet.

This week is Spring Break for the district where Jack goes to preschool. I had determined to take at least a few field trips with him, while we have the freedom. This proved to be easier said than done, especially with my allergies and Toby's nap schedule.

We found out there is a zoo near here, but it's one of those ones that is bigger than it should be and not enough animals to fill the space. Plus, the hilight is a petting zoo area and I think the hay feed would make my head (or at least my sinuses) explode.

I looked around for play gyms or anything else that would be new and exciting for the kids, and not overly expensive. The pickins were pretty slim, and as lunch time crept up on us yesterday I finally threw my hands up in exasperation and decided to just GO.

So I packed us a quick pic-nic lunch of PB&J, sweet potato chips, apple slices, raisins, water bottles, and honey bee grahams for dessert. Threw clothes on all of us, loaded into the car, and off we went.

Once at the park, we found a table in the shade and nibbled on lunch. The weather was more lovely than it had any right to be, really. Seventy degrees and just a few puffy clouds adorning the sky. We spent a good two hours soaking up the sun (Note To Self: BAD MOMMY! Next time, remember the sunscreen. Luckily, nobody seems overly sun-baked today.) Ran a few errands (including stopping by Walmart to pick up the aforementioned Kona Roast) and headed home.

The boys took an afternoon nap while I made preparations for a hamburger cookout, and when T got home we munched on burgers, corn on the cob, and leafy spring salads. After hands and faces were washed up and dinner had been cleared, we settled into the family room with frosted mini-cupcakes to watch "Happy Feet" for Family Night.

At the end of the day, and before Mumble the penguin met the elephant seals on his way to the Forbidden Shore, both boys went willingly and contentedly to bed. T and I settled in for a quiet evening of folding laundry, and while he watched the DC United game I quietly drifted off to sleep on the sofa under a freshly laundered jersey sheet.

If only life could always be so Tropically Serene. Maybe some day we'll move to Hawaii, where I can soak up the cheering rays of the sun and enjoy a more relaxed pace of life more often. And, of course, the Kona Coffee.

No comments: