Thursday, June 07, 2007

That Was Zen, This Is Now

The graduation party included all of the usual debauchery and gluttony that one might expect of such an event. Copius drinking, lots of screaming and partial nudity.

Of course, in this case, the graduates were 3 and the beverages of choice happened to be juice boxes. But that didn't stop the preschoolers from partying with more abandon than rowdy teenagers, as they burned some of that boundless energy on the giant moon-bounce-slide-maze-obstacle-course-thingamajig.

Since the whole family was invited, Toby toddled along and stared, bug-eyed, at all of this unfamiliar activity. The baby pools and sprinkler were of particular interest, and before long his poor pampers were holding back more water than the Hoover Dam. The moon bounce and the sno-cone machine were not to be trusted, and he warily kept his gaze trained on both - lest either should decide to sneak up on him, he would not be caught unawares.

Jack, on the other hand, plunged head-first (literally) into the moon bounce and spent the next half-hour reminding me just how strong those lungs of his are. He emerged only to demand a juice box recharge, then immediately plunged into the water activities. After a few sno-cones, some pretzels and popcorn, and a brief (and interactive!) "If You're Happy And You Know It" story time, it was back to the moon bounce.

By the time they hauled out the slideshow at the end, the kids were good and worn out - but, thankfully, in the "tired and thoughtful" sort of way. I fought back the stubborn tears that would have to well up in my stupid eyes as I watched photos of all the activities that the kids and their high school student-teachers had this year. I recorded as much as I could for T, since he had to go into work (not least because he had 2-weeks notice to give this morning) (What? Oh! That. That's a story for another day. Mwahahahahahah!)

Jack got his diploma and a bag of party favors from his teacher. I changed the boys into dry clothes for the drive home. He hugged his goodbyes while I gathered up all of our things, and we strolled out into the sunshine.

In just two half-days a week, he has learned his entire alphabet. He learned to spell his name, and then to write it. He learned to count to 30 and the colors of the rainbow. Most of all, he learned how to listen and follow directions, how to be part of a team, and he started on the long road toward becoming an educated human being.

Seriously, people. If anyone had told me, at any time in my past, that I would be this emotional over preschool? I would have laughed long and loud. For the moment, I'll be content with just choking back the sniffles. Let's just say it's my allergies, 'kay?

No comments: