Friday, August 17, 2007

Celebratory Sushi

What better way to celebrate five years of married bliss than with plate after plate (after plate!) of picture-perfect sushi? And it would have made for perfect pictures if I could ever remember the camera on these outings. *sigh*

Ah well. We dropped Jack and Toby off with my friend Molly and headed to our favorite local sushi joint. We ordered fancy, spicy, tangy, sweet, beautiful plates of sushi, and then we sat ... and ate.. and talked. The silence was golden, and I got to hear all about Big Daddy's adventures in Germany and Austria.

Did you know that there are different kinds of marzipan? Apparently what you get if you order it in Germany has granola and raisins and such in it, while in Austria it is more like the pistachio-flavored paste that I have always thought of as marzipan. Yes, it was all romantic discourse on our dinner date. Actually, for me, this WAS romantic discourse. Since I can't yet travel in Europe myself, living vicariously through my husband really is the next best thing.
His next trip, at the end of this month, will be to Singapore.

I listened, with rapt attention, to the tales of his adventures... and this is when I realized that I have truly become The Stay At Home Mom. He goes, and I stay at home, and somehow this seems to work for us. I was a little worried that it would be too hard, being on my own so much of the time. So far, though? As long as I can immerse myself in his experiences, researching the locales on Wikipedia, daydreaming about dining in some little cafe (making sure to try the schnitzel) without any of the hassle of actually getting on the plane and going there... and as long as each return brings me a little souvenir of the places I have gone in my head... I think I'm going to get along just fine.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes this is the best way to travel, and it's cheaper! :D