Thursday, March 16, 2006

Candy In My Heels Tonight, Baybee

Tuesday night was a watershed in motherhood for me. It was my first night out without ANY kids since before Toby was born. (5 months and 2 days, but who's counting?) I drove T's car (the blue batmobile) out to Melissa's house for drinks with the girls.

Turns out, Melissa's house USED to be our friends Dave & Tracy's house. Totally bizarre - two couples we know who don't know each other, but one bought the house from the other over a year ago and I just found this out. The world suddenly felt very, very small.

T had both boys all to himself. I felt a mild terror as I pulled out of the driveway in a car without car seats. As I cranked up the radio, though (to many many decibels over child-safe volumes for the first time in eons) my apprehension gave way to a feeling suspiciously close to that time I "borrowed" my mom's minivan to take my friends out for milkshakes at 2am. "So THIS is what freedom feels like!"

As it turns out, Toby cried for over an hour while I was gone but T, bless his heart, decided not to call me in a panic. Which totally saved my night, because I would not have been able to enjoy the evening as much as I did had I felt I really needed to be home to comfort my little cherub. So, blissfully unaware of the drama unfolding at home, I settled into Melissa's comfy sofa and engaged in deliciously frivolous conversation with the girls over a glass of Rum Punch.

For a few glorious hours I felt like my old self -- not Mel the wife or homemaker or the mama, just plain Mel... who is still just crazy enough to entertain a room full of women by shaking her groove thing to the Napoleon Dynamite soundtrack.

Don't bother searching for Flickr photos of THAT particular adventure, I made everyone sign an NDA. Suffice it to say you would, indeed, have known this boogie was for real...

No comments: