Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer Reading Awesomeness.

On to the Bounty of the Written Word.... Summer Reading List-a-palooza!  I thought about dividing it into parts and putting at least 10 items in each, but then I realized exactly how self-defeating a proposition that would be.  Instead, here is the list in no particular order with no particular reasoning for the number of books.  Also, it is divided into 3 categories: Books I Will Most LIkely Read Between Now and September and Books I Have Already Read That You Should Read This Summer If You Haven't Already and Books We Should Both Read In The Future That I Probably Won't Get To This Summer.  Actually, let's just refer to them as "Books for Me",  "Books for You", and "Books for Us".  Again, each list is in no particular order.... Okay? Go!

BOOKS FOR ME

The Good Good Pig (Sy Montgomery)
The Road (Cormack McCarthy)
The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
Slightly Shady (Amanda Quick)
Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man (Fannie Flagg) 
The Devil in the White City (Erik Larson)
The Seventh Sinner (Elizabeth Peters)
The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
The Wife (Meg Wolitzer)
Water for Elephants (Sarah Gruen)
Look at Me: A Novel (Jennifer Egan)


BOOKS FOR YOU

The Glass Castle (Jeanette Walls) 
The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffeneger) 
The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Gregory Maguire)
Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) -- (Love this whole series.  Great Historical Fiction/Romance)

BOOKS FOR US

Use Me (Elisa Schappell)
Who Will Run the Frog Hospital (Lorrie Moore)
Cowboys are My Weakness (Pam Houston)
Garlic and Sapphires (Ruth Reichl)
Finding George Orwell in Burma (Emma Larkin)


If you note any gems that were suggested  (by you or others) that I somehow left off the list, please feel free to bring them to my attention.  

I had to go see the vampires LabCorp peoples yesterday and have my blood sucked out an hour after drinking that godawful glucose solution that they always try to convince you "tastes just like orange soda".  Ugh.  My stomach turns in a very queasy roll just thinking about it.  But I digress.  The hour between drinking said awful concoction and having needles punched through a tender nerve or two gave me ample time to start on the first book from the list, and the only one I happened to already have handy.  

And so I am about one-third of the way into The Good, Good Pig and so far it's a breezy and delightful summer read.  I'll post a full review when I finish it, and then start on whichever book from the list happens to catch my fancy (or that happens to leap out at me the next time I'm at a book shop.  I'm going to try to skip Amazon as long as possible... what with the spectre of possibly crippling car repairs hanging over our heads.  But I won't think about that now.... I'll go crazy if I do... I'll think about it tomorrow.... etc. etc. etc.  and fiddle-dee-dee.)

Good Reading, all.

4 comments:

H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marnae said...

Hooray and thank-you. I was going to leave some tacky comment about how long it took, maybe making some joke about pregnancy and forgetfullnes. Then I read about your not-so-fun car troubles and I am glad I held my tongue(or fingers). Anyhoo, I am heading to the library tomorrow with the blessed list. Thanks again you are swell.

Missy said...

I read The Road maybe a month ago. Not so much breezy or delightful. I'm interested to see how the movie of it turns out.

Aerin said...

I agree with missy. The Road is definitely not breezy or delightful. While well-written, it's painful at times - in fact, throughout the entire book. I like Cormac McCarthy in general...just thought I should warn people. Especially after I recommended _The Unbearable Lightness of Being_ by Kundera to my husband and he still hasn't forgiven me.