Friday, June 27, 2008

Shrinking Those Degrees.

I don't put a lot of thought into that whole "Six Degrees of Separation" thing, but I came across this little item (okay, so I'm only 3 or 4 months behind in seeing it...) and I it gave me a little thrill.

You see, my father-in-law is a retired Navy Captain.  He also got to work with (now) Cmdr. Mike Lopez-Alegria back in his Navy days, and even (so I have been told) got to help recommend him to NASA for the space program.

That alone is a cool enough "degrees" thing, but that I can then connect the dots between Mike L-A and Alton Brown?  Our Good Eats Hero? The Man who inspires my husband to tackle new and exciting challenges in the kitchen, and who may yet inspire my eldest to set his sights on Culinary School? (Okay, so the kid is 5, but Good Eats is his favorite show and he already talks about being a chef when he grows up)...

Well, that's pretty schweet, y'all.

Oh, and before I forget, I do realize that today is Friday.  I also realize that means I should, according to my own schedule, be posting a "Friday Foto Feature".    Due to circumstances beyond my control (read: I am exhausted... and lazy) we will be skipping it this week.  I'm sure that a combination of therapy and dark chocolate will help you recover from your massive disappointment. (*cough*)

3 comments:

Mocha said...

I have this weird crush on Alton Brown. It's not normal. It can't possibly be. Can you imagine if HE was feeding me the dark chocolate during my therapy session?

Sidenote: I miss you and am getting super giddy about rubbing your Buddha belly at BlogHer.

Brightmyer said...

I think if we look really close, there is probably only 6 degrees of separation between all of us.

This is my first time on your site, compliments of AllMediocre.

Kerri said...

The world is small. 2 years ago when we were interviewing moving companies, I was chatting with the mover itemizing my house in Charlottesville, VA. I mentioned my dad was in the Navy; his too. My dad lived in Spain; his too. I lived there in from 1986-1988; he did too. He hung out with Robert Norris; my sister had a crush on Robert Norris and even did a little 'I heart RN' cross-stitch. Small, small world. How random.