Sunday, March 18, 2007

....The Way The Fortune Cookie Crumbles

It was ... a week.

T's car broke down. $400 later it was fixed. The next day, it was 70 degrees outside and glorious spring seemed at last on its way. Two days later, we got 6 inches of snow and T's car got a flat tire.

This afternoon? One of our two female cats got into basement storage and managed to get her paw hooked on a fishing lure. $200 later and one seriously exhausted and pissed off cat later, she's doing just fine and we're totally exhausted.

If anyone happens to get the karma gods on the phone in the near future? Let them know we're ready for a little reprieve. And a long vacation somewhere tropical. OO! And a pony. K? Thanks.

Moving on... there's a story I've been meaning to tell, and as it is a fairly long story it will have to come in installments. I realized the other day that I have never properly told the story of how T and I met, and how it is I managed to go from tormented BYU co-ed to progressive, analytical, feminist housewife and mom.

So be on the lookout for installment #1 - Wherein I detail my exploits working after-hours at the dollar movie theater, take an impromptu flight to the East coast, put in a stint as towel girl at a Gym, go on several blind dates, develop a crush on a good friend, and eventually end up delivering paychecks for a company that dealt in some kind of voodoo known as "DSL". (Which, at the time, I had never heard of. I know! Such a luddite. Who would have known what the future would hold?)

For now, I will leave you with this lead-in:

I stood resigned in my pink-and-yellow checkered vinyl apron, grease-spattered black polyester pants, and pink rubber visor. The attractive guy on the other side of the counter stared absently at the passing crowds. His date, a tiny blonde with an impossibly large chest, delicately picked her nose with one perfectly french-manicured fingernail and ordered a small buttered popcorn. I found myself loathing these people, resenting the casualness with which they enjoyed a free Friday night.

To be continued.....

No comments: