Thursday, November 08, 2007

Everybody Loves A Parade.

We've lived here in Country Town, USA for just over 3 years now, and I have yet to attend the annual Christmas Parade. Every year, though, (except last year - the slackers like me were apparently in control last year) the local mothers' club puts together a float and the moms and their kiddies walk and/or ride in the parade and toss out candy to the onlookers.

This will be my first year participating.

Tomorrow, I am hosting the official Planning Meeting for the float --- which basically means I am providing a room and some munchies for the group of mothers to brainstorm ideas while our offspring entertain themselves in the toy room.

And coffee, of course. Most of the mothers I know would go ahead and just hook up a caffeine IV drip if such a thing were available or advisable.

Now, usually I attempt to be a Super Awesome Hostess. I figure it helps cover the fact that I am really not much of a joiner and.. well, that I am about as socially able in these situations as a walrus on the subway.

This time, however, I put down the Martha Stewart guidebook and slowly backed away. Muffins from the store bakery, some Rold Gold pretzels, and some candy corn were procured. I spent my time, instead, running the vacuum cleaner and folding 2 weeks worth of clean laundry.

Also? I came up with an idea for our float. It involves foam board, masking tape, and textured spray paint. I know, screams genius, right? (Either that or best date EVER!) I'm going to sketch it up and toss it out there tomorrow as a possibility. Look at me! Joining in and everything!

So here I am, ready to brainstorm. Ready to socialize. Ready to welcome other women-type folks into my mostly presentable home.

I've got my game face on, Baby. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Let's do this thing.


My safe word will be "Pomegranate".

No comments: